Thursday, September 11, 2014

Photog Thursday: Anthony Grassetti Photography #photogThursday #bookcover

Welcome
Anthony Grassetti Photography
to Photog Thursday






Give us the lowdown on who you are... where have you been? What have you done? What makes you tick.
I am a fine art and fashion photographer originally trained in oil painting.  I believe my art historical background informs each image that I create, producing a focused appreciation for the interplay of light and shadow.  I have been fortunate to travel the United States, living in both Boston and Chicago for undergraduate and graduate studies, respectively.  I have been additionally fortunate enough to travel to 9 European countries and visit/study in the most beautiful museums in the world.  Art makes me tick; it is the core of my being!

When did you first know you wanted to be behind a camera for a living?
I always knew I wanted to create images for a living.  Albeit through painting originally, followed by motion pictures, eventually ending (perhaps?) with photography.  Though the apparatus with which the image is created has been mercurial, the intention has been constant; to represent my idea of beauty.



We all want to know how you find these sexy guys to take photos of... tell us the process.
I believe talent finds itself.  If you work at perfecting your craft, whatever it may be, you will continuously rise to find greater and greater talent.  At this point in my career I am fortunate to have models pursue my work.  Occasionally I seek them out however, and believe it or not, I use instagram!

How do you get the models to give you what you want? Do you coach before the set of pics? During? Shouting out 'turn left, no your other left'?
This is a difficult process.  Some models are expressive, while others are shy beings beneath layers of sculpted muscle.  There is a moment, in each shoot, where it feels like a dance between photographer and model.  The strobe fires quicker and more consistently, and you have found your rhythm with the model.  Typically the shoot will end within the hour of that occasion.  As for my approach, I am gentle and specific.  There is no need to shout.



What's the coolest location you've every photographed in?
I assisted a fashion stylist on a shoot in the Harvard Museum of Natural History.  The next day on the same shoot I was in a hotel room with Joe Perry of Aerosmith.  Those two days stick out in my mind, though I was not the photographer!

Do you love using digital medium, or are you nostalgic about the old 35mm?
I spend a great deal of time pursuing the aesthetic of film through digital means.  In that sense, the answer is “both.”  But, I abhor images that look blatantly “digital.”



What was your first camera?
Probably a bolex 8mm film camera for motion pictures.  Currently I shoot with a Nikon d800, though of course the lenses are what matters!

Have you taken classes on photography? Photo editing software?
My undergraduate education in Fine Art was completed at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston with a combined degree from Tufts University, along with graduate study at the University of Chicago.  Since graduation, I have taken dozens of courses in the practical application of photography with a focus on lighting and retouching.  I believe in lifelong learning, and fully expect to continue studying throughout my career.


What's the best part of your job?
Being paid to create beauty, though at times daunting, is truly a pleasure.  Photography and painting are the only pursuits in my life where time is no longer a noticeable constraint.  8 hours of photography “work” goes by in an instant.

If we were to peek into your office space what items would we see that might surprise us?
I have a “cabinet of curiosities” containing antique medical oddities, natural history specimens, antique photographs. etc.  I can’t resist the romance of the items’ histories. 

Do you listen to music while you edit photos or doesn't it matter?
It certainly matters!  I theme the music to the image, as predictable as that may sound.  Currently I am listening to Max Richter’s “On the Nature of Daylight.” 

What do you absolutely enjoy about working with models and authors for covers?
Creative collaboration is one of the most fulfilling parts of life.  Most of all, I like pleasing a client with my work.

Who do you have coming up on your schedule that we might be interested in?
Next week I will be working with modeling agencies in Montreal, followed by a month of working in New York City.  I can’t wait!


What ONE item would you absolutely have to have on a deserted island?
Another human.

Chocolate or vanilla - Vanilla
Morning person or night owl – Night Owl
can or bottle - Can
wine or beer - Vodka
train or plane - train
Vegas or Disney World - Vegas
Modern or classical art - Classical



Where would you like authors and other interested folks to get in touch with you?
sales@anthonygrassetti.com
IG: GrassettiPhoto

Any traveling you'd like to promote?
Nyc Oct 1-31 

No comments:

Post a Comment