Thursday, August 28, 2014

Photog Thursday: HeatherLynn Portraits #coverphotos #sexypics #photogthursday

Welcome
Heather Almendarez of HeatherLynn Portraits
to Photog Thursday

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

1. Give us the lowdown on who you are... where have you been? What have you done? What makes you tick.
My name is Heather Almendarez. I own and run HeatherLynn Portraits. I live in Round Rock, Texas which is just outside of Austin. I have lived here all of my life. I have been in the photography business off and on since high school. I worked for Sears Portraits Studios for 10 years on and off. Only taking a small break to have children and raise them. Now that they are less dependent on me  I was ready to go back to my passion. I never expected it to take me where I am today.

So, a little more about me. I am a mother of three great kids. I have an 11 year old son and identical twin 10 year old daughters. I have a wonderful husband who I have been with for 20 years, married for 15 this year. I have a degree in Computer Animation and Design. I love anything ART!! I am an avid reader. I run a book club and also have a blog where I post reviews and such for authors. I am a Geek! I love all this comic book wise, Star Trek and Star Wars. I am a HUGE hockey fan!!!! I love my TEXAS STARS (AHL)!! I am also a huge Dallas Stars and Red Wings fan. I do also follow the Oilers only because my favorite player was traded there and I don't care who he plays for!!

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

2. When did you first know you wanted to be behind a camera for a living?
I discovered Sears Portrait Studios at the mall and they were hiring. I applied and got the job the next day. After my first week I fell in love and didn't want to do anything else. The looks on the parents' faces when they saw what I captured of their beautiful child were amazing.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

3. We all want to know how you find these sexy guys to take photos of... tell us the process
Well, I do not only work with men. I also work with women, teens and children. I still shoot other things besides book covers. I met my first models at a book convention when a few of my author friends introduced me to them. Several of my models are dancers and I met them at the clubs that they work at. I basically introduced myself to them, told the what I did and what I was looking for and if they were interested to contact me. I usually had a number before I left. My newest models are all fitness models. I found most of them on Facebook. After I work with a new model they have all been amazing and sent new models my way. I am adding sessions with new models everyday.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

4. How do you get the models to give you what you want? Do you coach before the set of pics? During? Shouting out 'turn left, no your other left'?
Every model is different. I have some that do not need any direction at all. They have been modeling for a few years already and know what poses I am looking for depending on the type of shoot that we are doing. I have other models that are actually modeling with me for the first time. For those models I will begin a session and see how they react. Some just are naturals while others need a little coaching. I can yell out directions with some of the but others I actually need to show them what I want. I do that by either doing the pose myself or by showing them a photo. I usually save a few photos on my phone or in my Pintrest. As I said before though it truly depends on the model. Each one is different.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

5. What's the coolest location you've every photographed in?
I think the coolest location that I shot in was an old abandoned house. There was paint peeling off the walls and broken windows. Someone had broken into the home and turned it into a haunted house. Blood dripping down the walls, words like " Hush little baby" written on a wall and pentagrams painted on the floors. It made for amazing photos.

6. Do you love using digital medium, or are you nostalgic about the old 35mm?
I actually prefer 35mm but I am learning to love digital. I love how much more creative I can be with digital.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

7. What was your first camera?
My first camera was actually a Polaroid. I loved that thing. We were always at the store buying more film. After that it was a Nikon 35mm.

8. Have you taken classes on photography? Photo editing software?
The only photography classes that I have taken were back in high school and it was really just basics of shooting and developing. I recently took a lesson for a couple hours from a photographer friend. Other than that, I am self-taught. When it come to editing I have never had a class. I play around till I figure out what I like or I google it to learn.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

9. What's the best part of your job?
The reactions that I get from models or clients when I send the a finished product. Too see in their eyes how they feel about the photo that I took from them.

10. If we were to peek into your office space what items would we see that might surprise us?
My office space is in my bedroom. The one item that I have in there that would surprise you you probably wouldn't see right away. In fact, you wouldn't see it unless you were making my bed for me. There are some really cool straps hidden under my mattress ;-)

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

11. Do you listen to music while you edit photos or doesn't it matter?
No, I actually have the TV on. I don't really watch it either I just have noise. The radio distracts me too much because I like to sing and dance with it.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

12. What do you absolutely enjoy about working with models and authors for covers?
A few years back a friend introduced me to JR Ward. Ever since then I have become an avid reader in a few different genres. I attend many events on a regular basis and have quickly became friends with many authors. I have learned by talking with them what they look for, what the publishers look for and as a reader I know what the readers like when it comes to a cover.

I also feel that, as one of the few females in the industry, I see the images from a completely different perspective. When I look through the lens I see what I feel other women would like to see. I feel it is easier for me since I know what we like. Probably 95% of the readers in these genres are women. So being female gives me that advantage. It helps when you are telling the male models to look into the camera like they want you. It is sometimes harder for them to get that authentic look starting at another male. With the females I have learned that most of them are more comfortable with a woman shooting.

I love that I have so many things working to my advantage in this field and appreciate every one that I have to opportunity to work with.

 Besides who wouldn't want to work with their friends everyday?

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

13. Who do you have coming up on your schedule that we might be interested in?
Ripp Baker
Cole Butler
Eric Madden
Anthony Wilson Jr.

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images


14. What ONE item would you absolutely have to have on a deserted island?
My kindle... without a doubt

15. Quick questions
Chocolate or vanilla   Chocolate
Morning person or night owl   Night owl
can or bottle   can
wine or beer    neither. I do not drink.
train or plane  neither. I prefer to drive myself.
Vegas or Disney World  Nope I can't pick one!
Modern or classical art  ALL ART

Contact HeatherLynn Portraits if interested in this photo or any similar images

16. Where would you like authors and other interested folks to get in touch with you?

I can be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/heatherlynnportraits


My email is heatherlynnportraits12@hotmail.com


17. Any traveling you'd like to promote?

I will be in Dallas the weekend of the 29th thru the 31st of this month
I will be in San Antonio the weekend of February 19th-21st with Wild Wicked Weekend (doing boudoir shoots for the attendees)
As of right now that is all that is planned. Most of my models come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment