Thursday, August 21, 2014

Book Cover Photographer Thursday- Kruse Images & Photography #photogThursday

Welcome
Shauna Kruse of Kruse Images & Photography
to Photog Thursday


1. Give us the lowdown on who you are... where have you been? What have you done? What makes you tick.
Who am I?  What makes me tick?  Well, that answer could probably get a little long, so here's the short version. I am a kind, giving person, I had an idyllic childhood with amazing parents who made me the way I am today. I LOVE what I do.  I love being behind the lens and finding something that I am so very passionate about and being able to give back using my talent.  I love reading, I used to write, and I love doing anything outside.  So combining my passion for photography with my passion for books by having my photos on covers is AMAZING!  I was born in Colorado, grew up in Idaho, went to school in Washington and have lived in LA, Davis, Ca., Lake Tahoe and New Hampshire.  I have been in almost every state in the country, and Mexico and Canada.  I want to go everywhere, so I hope that soon my photography allows me to travel to other countries as well.  I am a hockey freak, and have season tickets to our local WHL team.  If you want to hang out on a weekend during hockey season it better be at a game.  Short version... there is so much more, but I only have so much space!


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

2. When did you first know you wanted to be behind a camera for a living?
My mom gave me her old camera when I was 8 years old, and I have been that person taking photos at every event and get together ever since. After college I moved to Lake Tahoe to take a year off, and ended up working at Heavenly Ski resort taking photos of families in their skis.  And the rest is history.  I knew I had found my passion and what I wanted to do for the rest of my life...especially when I started my own business.  It is definitely what I am meant to do!  Each time I have a shoot I am happy, I have a kind of high, and I love it.


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

3. We all want to know how you find these sexy guys to take photos of... tell us the process
Hmmm... I found my first sexy guys to shoot by asking my military friends if they knew anyone.  They produced some smoking hot soldiers, and I was hooked.  Since then I have followed a lot of hot guy facebook pages (for research of course!) and approached people there.  I have also found them through my friends.  I even picked up one at my gym.  I now find myself checking out guys when I am out and about.  Not because I am thinking about dating them, but because I am sizing them up to see if they would work well for a photo shoot.  For the record I am shy...but when there is a hot guy who I want to shoot?  I have no problem walking up to them card in hand.


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

4. How do you get the models to give you what you want? Do you coach before the set of pics? During? Shouting out 'turn left, no your other left'?
I always talk with my models leading up to the shoot, about ideas, clothes and location. I love creative input from my clients, and find that several brains are better than just one!  My main goal the day of the shoot is to make them comfortable so that I can get their best.  With many of my shoots I am meeting the model for the first time, and we basically meet then I get them naked.  So being comfortable is important.  I joke around with them, get them to relax.  We have a lot of fun on our shoots, and if there isn't some laughing going on we are doing it wrong.  I have worked with models who have never done a pro shoot and have no idea how to pose, as well as models who are completely comfortable in front of the lens.  So I just have to figure out what level they are at and what sort of direction they may need.  I love it, and we work hard to make the shoot flow.  Oh and 8 times out of 10, when I say left, they go right. ;)

Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

5. What's the coolest location you've every photographed in?
That's a hard one!  I have worked in so many different locations, and each one has its own awesomeness to it.  I did love the ocean shoots when I was in Cali since that was new and fun. I love graffiti for backgrounds, it looks amazing.  Probably one of the most interesting and crazy shoots was my shoot with Chris Van Etten since we had a tv crew following us around and I had a mic on and we had to repeat certain poses, or pause while doing things.  Very cool!


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

6. Do you love using digital medium, or are you nostalgic about the old 35mm?
I love digital.  I love being able to see my work on the back of the camera and make adjustments.  It is also great to be able to show my models and get them excited about the work while we are shooting.

Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

7. What was your first camera?
I don't remember what kind it was, it was one of those ones that flip with the film that has rolls on each end...if that makes any sense haha


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

8. Have you taken classes on photography? Photo editing software?

I always wanted to take classes, but instead concentrated on my degree classes, never realizing that I would end up where I am.  However I am happy that I didn't, my on the job training is one of the things that makes me stand out from other photographers, and allows me to think outside the box a little more when it comes to shoots.  I use photoshop, but don't use it much.  I try to get a great photo to start out with so I don't have to do much editing after the fact.  I wouldn't mind learning a little more about photoshop for special effects and such, but I am proud of my photography and not having to edit too much.

Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

9. What's the best part of your job?
Being able to make people smile.  To be able to capture the emotions of a moment and have people who are looking at the photo later feel those same emotions.  It is an amazing feeling when someone looks at one of my homecoming photos and cries, or when they look at my couple photos and can feel the chemistry coming off the page.  I also love being able to make a difference with my work, doing something I love.  Whether it is capturing a military family's homecoming so they can live it over and over, or sending an album overseas to a deployed soldier so he doesn't feel so alone, or putting together a charity calendar, these are the things I love.



10. If we were to peek into your office space what items would we see that might surprise us?
My office is in my living room, my seat an easy chair and my desk an end table.  The most surprising thing in my office?  Maybe the kitten playing fetch?  

Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

11. Do you listen to music while you edit photos or doesn't it matter?
I either listen to music or have the tv on so that I give my eyes a break from the computer by looking up every once in a while.  The only problem with having the tv on is I pretty much never actually watch something, and halfway through a show I usually have no idea what is going on since I am working at the same time.  Right now I have Glee on my Roku. Yes, I am a dork.  


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

12. What do you absolutely enjoy about working with models and authors for covers?
As I mentioned earlier, I am an avid reader, and love books.  I also used to write when I was younger.  So being able to have my photos on book covers seriously makes me giddy.  Like squealing-every-time-I-see-one-of-my-covers giddy.  And then I do it all over again when the book comes in the mail.  And show it to everyone.  The book geek in me loves it.  I also love being able to work with so many amazing writers, independent business owners like myself who have the passion and the drive to make their dreams happen.  So many people don't understand this drive, so to find so many amazing people who not only get it, but live it as well is incredible.  I enjoy being able to get my models on covers since they get so excited about it.  Plus a lot of my current models are part of my charity calendar and are donating their time, so to be able to get them the exposure a cover brings, as well as get them paid for something they love is an incredible feeling!  I have gotten 10 models their first book cover with our photos, and it makes me so happy to see their excitement at this.


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

13. Who do you have coming up on your schedule that we might be interested in?
Oooh.  I have lots of good stuff coming.  I am shooting with a couple of amazing female veterans in Cali next week, as well as a brand spanking new male model with serious blue eyes.  I have another newbie the week after here in town who is beyond excited to shoot, and who would be perfect for some covers. Then at the end of August I head to Alabama and Florida for the last of my calendar shoots.  I am honored to be shooting with Justin Keeton, and Daniel Hosse, shoots I have been excited about for months now!  I will also be shooting with a couple more bad ass female veterans while I am out there.  Right after I come back I will be heading back to AZ to shoot with Lance Jones, Matty boy Inked, Paul Blake and more...round two and it is going to be epic.  Beyond that?  My charity calendar officially goes to print and we are going to have a launch party/model meet and greet here in Seattle.  Exciting stuff!


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

14. What ONE item would you absolutely have to have on a deserted island?
Oh man.  One?  I can't have three? Camera...for sure. Need to document the beauty and have a record of the trip.  A journal to write about my days...and if I could squeeze in a 3rd, perhaps one of my models to keep me company...who you ask?  I'll never tell.


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

15. Quick questions
Chocolate or vanilla- Chocolate...although not a huge fan of either
Morning person or night owl- Night owl, although I can be a morning person when I have to be
can or bottle- Bottle?
wine or beer- Beer
train or plane- Plane
Vegas or Disney World- Disney World
Modern or classical art- Classical Art


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography


I can be reached via:
Email: shaunankruse@gmail.com

Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography


I am heading to San Diego and L.A. August 11th-14th, Alabama/Florida August 23rd-Sept 2nd, Arizona Sept 5th-11th. DC in March is definitely a possibility.



Those are the only trips planned, but I mentioned that I want to go everywhere, so if anyone wants to fly me anywhere else I am game! ;)  I am also looking at author events for next year, so any suggestions would be welcome!


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography


If interested in booking, chatting or puchasing images contact Shauna at shaunankruse@gmail.com


Photo available for purchase from Kruse Images & Photography

6 comments:

  1. Great photos! I'm definitely bookmarking this site for a series I'm working on. Thanks for sharing Lea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, She is great to work with and she's got a collection of absolutely scrumptious military men. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lorikingbooks! I am excited that you like my photos. If you want to see more of any one model just let me know. I have proof galleries for most of them. You are welcome to add me as a friend if you want as well.

      Delete
  2. I love Shauna's work and she's a pleasure to do business with as well. Can't wait to see what she has coming up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working with you. Thank you so much Danica!

      Delete