Thursday, August 28, 2014

Author Spotlight: Alexa Day- Turnabout Day #steampunk #erotica @alexajday

Welcome
Alexa Day

She has an absolutely sexy new steampunk story out! Check out the excerpt and her interview.


Blurb
Sugarcane heiress Chloe Newton said goodbye to indentured servant Peter Darrow with her first kiss, on a hillside one long-ago summer night as mechanized cane cutters worked the fields below them. Now Peter's returned, no longer a boy and no one's servant, to take charge of the fleet of machines that work Chloe's estate. On Turnabout Day, Chloe takes on the uniform and duties of a maid, and she seeks the courage to offer Peter more than a celebratory drink. By giving in to his commands, she'll surrender to his need and become mistress of her own desire.

Buy links

Musa Publishing

All Romance Books

Amazon

Barnes and Noble


Links:
Here's my site: www.alexajday.com
On Twitter, for when I'm watching TV: www.twitter.com/alexajday

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt:
She reached for his mouth, wanting to stroke his full lips. He intercepted her hand and pressed her fingers together almost painfully.

“Listen to me, Chloe,” he whispered before releasing her hand. “I won’t be like those rich boys you’re used to. I won’t treat you as if you’re made of glass.”

His promise, his desire-­laden voice, made all her empty places ache, and she sighed. He slid his hands down her bare arms.

“Tonight, you must do as I say, love. You must do anything I say. Is that what you want, Chloe?”

She flattened her hand against his chest and summoned her friend Beryl’s flirtatious spirit. “What do you think?”

He leaned down toward her, moving with a torturous slowness, and she pressed her lips to his. Her skin burned where it met his. The smooth, soft surface of his generous mouth teased her. Need erupted in her, and she fought the desire to wrap her arms around him.

Before she could remind herself that she was Beryl tonight, he pulled away from her. “Chloe, kiss me. Kiss me.”

She pulled him to her and kissed him hard, the way she’d wanted other men to kiss her. She locked her mouth to his, but she’d only begun to ease his mouth open when he parted his lips for her. Then he took control, his tongue eagerly taking possession of her mouth.

Oh, yes. Yes!

Author Interview

Are you a plotter or a pantser, or a hybrid?
I'm a hybrid, definitely. As the story's first taking shape for me, I'm a pantser, with a very intuitive process. I can see flashes of the story in my mind, and I can hear bits of dialogue with my characters. After the story unfolds in my head, I have to do something to nail it down. Usually I make an outline out of the stack of Post­It notes and index cards I create during the pants process. I've tried to do this without the outline, and I usually end up about halfway through the story with no idea what happens next. From there, I end up in a shame spiral. Oh, God! You don't know what happens next! What kind of writer are you?! This is why you don't ever finish anything! Yeah, it's not pretty. Outlining prevents the shame spiral.

In your opinion, what makes a great hero?
I think a great hero is a good man, even when he's not in a relationship. He's passionate about something in his life. He's smart. He's a good friend and protective of his loved ones. He does have a blind spot or two — everyone does — but he's trying to be a better guy because he knows he isn't perfect. I don't like my heroes to be too alpha, in part because of my strong heroines. I find that the stronger a woman is, the less attention she may devote to her own feelings. That woman needs a man who is at the very least aware of her feelings in a way she may not be.

Do you prefer strong women for heroines, or the ‘damsel in distress’ type?
I definitely prefer a strong woman for a heroine! I think they are most likely to neglect their love lives, either because they don't think they need a partner or because they're not making the time to actively seek a partner. They're a different kind of challenge for a hero who wants to be a necessity in her high­-powered life. She thinks she's doing just fine without him, so the way to her heart is definitely an uphill climb!

Do you have anything in common with your characters?
There's a little spark of me in most of my characters, I think. Some of them have the same sense of humor, a couple of them have worked similar jobs, many of them live in Richmond like me. They all feel like very different people, though. I often wonder if they'd get along with each other — you know, all the characters in all the stories — but that gets me thinking about all the stories in the to-­be-­written queue, which is sometimes depressing.

What item, or items, is absolutely necessary to your writing mojo?
I absolutely have to have spiral notebooks. I started writing when I was in class, supposedly paying attention, so I trained myself to write in the margins of my notebooks, and now it just feels natural to have a stack of them. Invariably, during the course of a project, I lose one of the notebooks and fly into the shame spiral. Oh, my God! Why can't I use a computer? Why can't I keep this house clean? Why can't I just use one notebook? And then the notebook reappears and I don't learn from the experience. You would think, with all the time I spend in the shame spiral, that I would do more to change the way I work, but no. I'd rather do something easier like have a donut or play with the cats.

Do you have any rituals for writing or special locations that you prefer to inhabit when you’re writing?
I'm realizing as I write this that I can't wear a lot of constricting clothes when I'm writing, which sounds absolutely vulgar. I don't even like to wear shoes. I think it comes from my late night study sessions from law school, when I was in the library in sweat pants and T shirts. I guess the elastic waistband means we're ready to get down to business (ha ha, heyo!) or something. Of course, I can't wear any of that to my day job. Draw your own conclusions.

Right now, what items are on your desk that you’d be embarrassed to admit to?
Right now, under a layer of dust, is a flip phone from three upgrades ago. It's a pink Motorola, and I guess I took it out for something, but I'll never remember what it is. I also have two pairs of handcuffs on my desk, but those don't embarrass me at all.

What’s the strangest (neatest, coolest, etc) thing you’ve ever done?
As part of my research for a story I still haven't finished, I needed to know what it was like to be in a single-engine plane. I called down to a local flight school and bought a discovery flight (which is really not expensive at all). I thought we'd do a little walk-around, and then he'd take me up for a little joyride and that would be it. Even when he put me in the left seat, I told myself that the plane must be like a British car with a right­-side drive. I didn't get it until we were at the end of the runway and he said, "Go ahead and take off. Try to keep it in the center of the runway." I looked at him for a second, wondering what I had said or done to convince him that I could fly the plane. But then I went for it. That feeling, when the plane is wanting to leave the ground, is absolutely terrifying when you're in the driver's seat with no clue how to fly a plane. But it was just another day at work for him.

What is one place in the world you’d love to visit which you haven’t already been?
Tough question! I've been fortunate to travel to so many great destinations. But I have always wanted to go to Russia. Once during some down time, a coworker and I priced some seats on the Siberian Express, just for kicks. It's actually not that expensive! We clicked away from that fast. It seemed safer to think about when we thought it was impossibly pricey. Still, sometimes I wonder if the Russians believe in girly drinks and cake­-flavored vodka.

Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what type(s) do you lean towards?
I actually spend more time listening to music when I'm plotting and planning. Pink Floyd, Metallica, and Bear McCreary's music are really good for brainstorming. I like a lot of Massive Attack, too. My characters must like all that dark, angsty music! I discovered that once I'm writing, I can distract myself for hours trying to find a radio station or a playlist on iTunes or Spotify, so I have to coach myself to work with whatever's on at the time. Or just play Pink Floyd's Echoes over and over again. It's a good exercise, really, since it's a little under a half hour long, but I suspect it's not so good for the old sanity if you play it more than eight or ten times in a row.

What book are you currently reading?
Right now, since I'm working on a couple of projects, I'm not reading much inside my genre. I'm a little over halfway through Born to Win by Zig Ziglar right now. After that, it'll be time to read Dracula again; I try to read it once a year.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
I love Scott Turow. He draws the reader into the story so skillfully that we're right next to his beautifully flawed characters, unable to look away when he starts to put them through the wringer. He provides such a deep emotional experience; it's so vivid and dark and ultimately rewarding. I also love Megan Hart. Her characters feel so real, and she's all about putting them into complicated situations. Also vivid and sometimes dark and ultimately rewarding, but with more sex than Turow's work.

What was your favorite subject in high school or college?
I took Latin in high school. It made every language I studied easier (except Chinese). But the best part was reading Cicero. His political works about Catiline, a Roman senator accused of murder, adultery and two separate attempts to overthrow the government, captured my imagination. I'm sure Cicero didn't mean to make Catiline sound like a classic bad boy of romance! But that sort of thing is irresistible in high school.

What are you currently working on, or what’s on the horizon?
Right now, I'm working on the sequel to Illicit Impulse, which was my first book. After that, I have a couple of short stories I'm researching now; one is a historical and one's an alternate history like Turnabout Day.

What do you do when you’re not writing?
Mostly, I'm working. If I'm not on the day job or the real job, I volunteer with a cat rescue group, explore the back corners of used book stores, and watch way too much television.

Coffee of tea?
Tea. Mom's from Jamaica, and she started us off with a hot cuppa every morning, even in July. Today, it's a soothing morning ritual, and an excuse to shop for tea accessories.

Wine or beer?
I do love a cheap, domestic beer. The resurgence of Pabst Blue Ribbon in finer drinking establishments has made me a happy girl indeed.

Beach or mountains?
I'd say the beach only because I haven't been there in a long while. The sound of water is magical.

Summer or Fall?
I definitely prefer the fall. I'm still a nerd at heart, so I love my school supply sales, and the fall makes me nostalgic for field hockey season.

Pedicure or massage?
Definitely pedicure. I've only had one massage, and the intimacy with a total stranger was so strange that I had trouble relaxing. I guess I can't get my head around the idea of nonsexual massage. Don't start me talking about the chiropractor.

Paper or plastic?
Paper! You can't make a cat fort out of plastic. 

Cats or dogs?
Well, there are three cats in the house, and one of them is watching me type, so I'm going to say cats. Working in animal rescue has taught me to admire the dog, though. I've worked with dogs who are willing to give humanity a second chance, even after they've experienced the worst our species has to offer. We have much to learn from the dog.


Links:
Here's my site: www.alexajday.com
On Twitter, for when I'm watching TV: www.twitter.com/alexajday

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Lea! Thanks for hosting me. Nice place you have here!

    ReplyDelete