Friday, December 13, 2013

#Artist Spotlight: Brian O'Hare ~Owner of @DstrctvBehavior

Please welcome
Brian O'Hare


Owner of Destructive Behavior Designs, artist, graphic designer, tattoo artist and all around awesome guy...

What's the strangest place you've been asked to ink?
~ The strangest place I have ever been asked to tattoo, hmmmm this is tough and kind of embarrassing…lol While I was in the Army, when we returned from Afghanistan a Soldier asked me to tattoo a “smiley face” on his…. Not a toe HAHAHA I told him he couldn’t afford my prices for that one.


T-Shirt design for the new line
Do you prefer the ability to free-hand artwork or have someone come in with exactly what they want?
~ I think all tattoo artist prefer the free-hand. In my opinion the only way to have a truly original one off piece is to have either the artist draw directly on you or just bust the machine out and go to town. I am a huge fan of pulling out my sharpies and going step by step and then creating something breath taking!
What is one of your favorite pieces you'd inked?
~ I think every piece I have done is my favorite? Does that sound conceited? An artist I am good friends with asked me once, “What’s your best piece you have done?” I gave my answer and he told me I was wrong. I was confused because it was in my eyes my best piece. He told me that “your best piece is always the next one you do!” Words I live by now! I always strive to be better then the last, whether it is tattooing, painting, graphic art, or photography. My next piece will always be my best.
Awesome PhotoShop of Brian's 'O' :P

How long have you been a tattoo artist?
~ I have been tattooing for just short of 7 years.

What made you try your hand at putting art to skin?
~ I was deployed in Iraq, being bored I started drawing. Then people started asking if I would design tattoos for them. At $50 a drawing no one was complaining. Then, THEN I found out my boss was tattooing! People would come to me pay for the design, then go to him…lol So he asked me if I wanted to learn how to tattoo, “Ummmmm…..YES!” the rest is history!

Give me four sentences that sum you up: what you do, who you are, where you've been...
The first bomb drop I ever coordinated.
~You know, you ask a lot for these interviews…lol A little about me, I am a father, a son, a Soldier, and over all badass…lol No seriously, I am starting my own graphic design company, I am head of marketing and advertising for a company called Rod Iron Crew Inc., as well I am in the midst of starting a clothing line. I like to stay busy! I am a father I think that’s my biggest focus! My father has been my best friend my whole life and well now that I have a 3 year old son running around I think being the best father I can be is the most important thing in my eyes.

 I served in the military for 10 years, 4 years in the air force, got out for a few years became a motorcycle mechanic and then met my ex-wife and decided that I needed to provide for my family, which led me to 6 years in the Army. Two deployments one to Iraq, and one to Afghanistan and I sit before you a humbled and grateful man. Those 6 years were the hardest years of my life. Not physically, but mentally, I lost 6 close friends in the last 2 years due to deployment related incidents. Five of those were combat related and one was because he couldn’t deal with his demons, and well a fatal car accident took his life.

Helicopter edited picture after a fire fight.

I live with PTSD and try to have a “normal” life. But, what’s normal when you sleep about 4 hours a night, wake up in a cold sweat and scream in your dreams? But with all that being said, some of the best memories I have come from meeting people while in the Army and I would never give the good or bad back to say I didn’t do it. I embrace my demons they make me who I am today!

What was your first tattoo?  Does it have meaning to you?
~ My first tattoo was 3 Kanji symbols on my stomach. I loved Tupac but this white boy can’t get thug life on his stomach. Strength, Courage, Knowledge these are in the Serenity Prayer. As a teenager I battled with drug addiction and it’s a constant reminder that no matter what I can get through anything that is placed before me! So that’s the meaning behind that. But all of my tattoos have meaning. You could read my life’s story by looking at my tattoo’s, There’s a lot of them, basically one for every major event in my life.

Do you have any that you regret getting?
~ HA! Funny question!! Do I have any that I regret? Yes, I got my first wife’s initials tattooed on my forearm, then I met my second ex-wife (Another topic totally) and I told her that I would get it covered one day. 3 years later I got it covered! So I then had a half sleeve, I was like sweet, I am half way to my sleeve. Then I come home from Afghanistan to a 12 pack of Corona and divorce papers. FML! Now I have a half sleeve dedicated to 2 ex-wives! (shaking my head and laughing) but what it is now is not anything I regret because I covered it with some awesome stuff!

If you had to pick a favorite piece of ink, which would it be and why?
~ My sleeve is my favorite piece I have! Now that everyone knows what half of it is, the other half tells everyone about me. It has 8 skulls in smoke from my wrist to my shoulder symbolizing me, my father and my son (below the elbow) then there is a bone piston, sprocket and chain (passion for motorcycles), a bomb (represents the bombs I dropped in Afghanistan) with cross cannons indicates the branch or Army I was in Field Artillery) I was a Forward Observer and 2 stars (indicates the 2 deployments), My sons name on the inside of my Bicep so he is always close to my heart., and a huge spark plug (the spark of life if you will), then all the stars on the lower part of my arm are the Ohio State colors, have a deployment patch in one of them, a blue nautical star for my son, and the words Father & Son.


Do you have more tats planned?
~ I don’t have anything planned at this moment but that’s because I am so busy working on other people’s stuff that I don’t have time for myself. HAHA But, I think the words Determination on my right index finger/thumb area for my determination to be the best artist and business owner I can be and then the word Dedication same area just on my left hand. I think that will be my next symbol of commitment to a woman. Who needs a ring anyways?! HAHA

Just a look at doing some work.

Do you buy into tattoos being addictive once you start getting them?
~ Yes and no, because if you have the money you will get one if you want it. Addiction…ehhh…no because I don’t know anyone who breaks into homes to support their tattoo addiction. HAHA but yes to me they will draw you back again and again for some odd reason. For me it’s because my skin is just another way for me to show off my art, and tell my story.


What's your life plans for the immediate future? Long-term?
~ My plans for the immediate future are to get my graphic design company and clothing line up and running and profitable.Long term goals are a bit more difficult, I basically want to take over the world! No seriously though, I have a friend who is planning on running for President, and I am going to do his marketing and such. So besides continuing to be a successful businessmen and amazing father, I hope to have that special woman in my life and share my achievements with her. And celebrate being part of a winning Presidency race.
Lea's Note: Do you see Danica? He wants to take over the world too... Damn, means we're sharing power with someone else. :P


What's something about yourself that most people don't know?
~ This is tough because I tend to be very private. Every piece of my art that I do personally, not that I get commissioned to do, tells something about me. You just have to study the title and the piece itself and it will tell you a story. I am deep like that I guess.



If you were a superhero, what would your power be? Your weakness?
~ Man, this is like every kids dream right here, a superhero power, I think the ability to fly would be my power. I think flying would be peaceful and down right badass! My weakness, oh man I think this is an actual weakness so shhhh…don’t tell anyone. A woman with blonde hair and green eyes, does that count? HAHA Um, I think if I were a superhero and actually had a weakness it would honestly be kids. I love kids and I think because I am a big kid I get easily distracted. HAHA


Favorite TV show or station?
My favorite TV show is Overhaulin. It’s amazing what a group of people can do to create a car that one man draws up. But more importantly they bring true joy to people’s lives. I mean have you seen the reactions of some of those people? The only time I have reacted like that is coming home from my deployments and seeing my family!



What's your 'go to' comfort item (food, place, drink, etc)?
~ My ‘go-to’ comfort item is paper, pencil, and usually a corona! Those allow me to escape my mind or reality for awhile. It allows me to relieve that stress in a manner that could potentially touch someone’s life in the future.
Abstract picture of me looking out over the Kunar Valley, Afghanistan

If there were no $ or time limitations, where would you be right now and what would you be doing?
~ I would be in Ireland or Scotland. I would be with my son, my dad, and that very special woman!


Do you enjoy reading? Who's your fav author, or your fav type of book (suspense, mystery, biography, paranormal, etc)?
I don’t read much at all honestly. I am a very visual person, so I would rather look at a car or motorcycle magazine and figure out how they created the beautiful piece of machinery.

Quick Questions:
Bottle or can? Bottle
Chocolate or vanilla? Both please!
Muscle car or motorcycle? Not fair! I grew up working on cars with my dad and that formed into my own passion for cars and motorcycles.
Morning person or night-owl? Night-owl! All the fun stuff happens at night!
Rollercoaster or bumper cars? Bumper cars.

Where would you like people to find you? FB? Twitter? Instagram? Email? Website?
~ You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram @destructivebehavior, or email destructivebehaviordesigns@gmail.com, I always like meeting new people!

Any other shout outs you'd like to do? Websites? FB pages?
~ A couple of quick shout outs I would like to make are to the guys at Rod Iron Crew Inc. you can find us on Facebook: Rod Iron Crew and on the web: www.rodironcrew.com We make some amazing parts for all models of Harley-Davidson’s and are doing some amazing projects as we speak!

Okay, and I'm going to do my (Lea's) shoutouts for Brian. If you're looking for something designed that is unique you need to contact him! My logo and the kick-ass Fated Mates, Inc. sign are both his designs!!! Email him! destructivebehaviordesigns@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment