Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Reinventing the Wheel- And I like it

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one that likes to do things exactly my way. Pfft... of course I'm not. Ever have those days, weeks, months where you want to throw every rule book out the window? Each time someone tells you that 'this is the way things are done' you want to kick them in the proverbial shin and stick your tongue out at them?

Yeah, that's me. I tend to enjoy walking the same path someone else has trodden and finding something unique about it. Or maybe, walk it backward just because I can.

What am I talking about? Writing maybe. Life in general, probably. I'm feeling rebellious about everything and nothing. I want to write what I want when I want. I've been feeling pressure, all my own doing btw, to get certain stories written in a specific order because, well, that's the way they 'should' be done.

Then, I realized that no one else was expecting this of me. Or at least not really. Yes, I'd love to finish the next books in Willie's series and get Adam's story finished for Genophytes. But in all honesty, I just need to write what comes to me.

So, I've stopped fighting with my characters. I don't know how long it will last, but for now I'm letting them have their way. If they aren't talkin' I'm not working on their book. Which means I'll have another two series started before the second books for any of them are written. Does this cause me stress? HELL YES! I'm OCD about certain things, and writing in order is one of them. I get itchy when I think about what books 'should' be written.

What this means for my readers? Get ready for new series and you'll have to wait just a little longer to revisit ones I've already started. I promise some of them will get finished this year, but right now? Nope. Right now I'm starting a Sci-fi series that is going to rock ya'll. Alpha females anyone? Oh, yea... I'm going there.

Good news? I have a paranormal in the hands of my editor that will publish this year and a contemporary menage waiting for her to read. If all goes well both will have covers in the near future. Other good news? I'm 36K into Alex's story for Half Insane, so we'll be seeing Willie again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment