Thursday, May 10, 2012

Interview with Jennifer Denys

I had the great opportunity to interview Jennifer Denys in between her two latest releases. Pull up a chair and get to know her a little better.

Me: Jen, tell me a little about yourself and how you got into writing.

Jen: I became an author for the first time last September, and I am still astonished that my stories keep being accepted! I am English (so it can be hard to get my head around Americanisms – for instance having to change ‘take-away’ to ‘take-out’), and I live in a beautiful historical city in the UK with my pet rabbit who is the dominant one in my household and is thoroughly spoilt. 

Me: Tell me about the latest books you have coming out.

Jen: I have two books out within two weeks of each other in May – both are the third and last installment in their series and are available (or will be available) from www.bookstrand.com/Jennifer-Denys


Friend or Foe is the last in the ‘Friends & Acquaintances’ series which can be best described as light-hearted romantic comedies – out on 3 May. Secret writer Gina bases her hero on Dan, a hunky colleague. Finding out her book recreates erotic movie scenes Dan teases Gina unmercifully. Despite receiving equal insults back he is interested to know more, in particular about those scenes. As she experiences the trials of getting published, their relationship develops.



In that one I drew on everything I went through getting my first book published and had great fun researching good put-down lines for Gina.
Friend or Foe (MF)


The Sub Who Switched is the last in the ‘Doms & Acquaintances’ series which are stories looking at BDSM from a beginner’s point of view – out on 17 May. Wanting someone dominant, Ellie turns down gentle Nick. Trying to change his submissive nature, Nick gets tutorials from a Master in a BDSM club and visits a women’s sex shop. It’s not plain sailing, though. Can Nick really switch and persuade Ellie to surrender? An unusual suggestion proves the catalyst.



Although they are separate series, the characters do cross-over from the ‘Friends’ to the ‘Doms’ series and vice versa. You can read them just as two trilogies or as a set of six books each one about a different woman who is friends with the others and they all fall in love with someone they already know, whether it be a friend or acquaintance.


Me: Do you have anything in common with your characters?

Jen: Absolutely – my female characters are generally based on aspects of my own personality. Jessie’s shyness was very much me twenty years ago, Rebecca’s controlling ways but hiding the heart of a submissive is me now, Lissa being pendantic, Kat coming over as assured when it actually hides insecurities, Gina loving the movies, Ellie being insecure about her body. I also include various aspects of my own life in my stories – the name of a friend’s dog, a room number, things that have happened to me and so on.



Me: Do you enjoy watching the movies?

Jen: Oh yes! In Friend or Foe I have my heroine writing her first erotic romance based on erotic scenes from the movies. There are 48 films I have planted in that book (not all erotic ones!) – some are easier to find than others.
Me: What is the coolest, funniest, weirdest thing you've ever done?

Jen: Funny you should ask that. I often include my own experiences when writing my stories. The Sub Who Switched starts off with Ellie having some nude photos taken and I based that on my own erotic/nude photos I had taken for my 50th birthday to prove I could still be sexy and desirable despite middle-aged body issues. They look fabulous, even if I say so myself! I would advise every woman to have them done – it is very liberating.

Me: What are you currently working on, or what’s on the horizon?

Jen: It was quite sad in some ways to finish these series having got so close to my characters – but on the other hand it has given me the chance to start some of the million and one other story ideas I have had in the interim such as a sci-fi series called ‘Duoterra’ – set on a colony planet in the future. The first one is out in the middle of June entitled Wife for Three. Check my blog for more details in due course.

Me: Where can fans find you?
Jen: Fans can find me on my blog/website which I post to three times a week

 Thank you so much, Jennifer, for hanging out with me for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment